Gutters to Freetown main road in the parish of St. Catherine is the first main road to be resurfaced under this Periodic Maintenance Programme.
Scope of Works
The scope of works includes but is not limited to:
- The laying of precast concrete kerbs
- Clearing of side and earth drains
- Cleaning of Culvert pipes and Box Culverts
- Utility cover adjustments
- Surfacing repairs
- Milling, preparatory and regulatory works followed by resurfacing with Asphaltic Concrete overlay of approximately six kilometers of roadway and the other four kilometers will be repaired using sheeting patching or hot mix asphaltic concrete and the installation of traffic signals
The aim of the project is to improve and upgrade the standard of this main road in order to reduce traffic congestion along the corridor, reduce vehicle operating costs, improve safety and facilitate the traveling public by providing a higher level of service to the commuters.
The contract amount for these works is $141,030,380.18.
The main contractor is Pavement & Structures Limited.
There will be a nominated sub-contractor for the traffic signal installations at the Old Harbour Square.
The contractual start date was February 23, 2009
Status of Works (at October 13, 2009)
- Construction of U-drains 90% complete
- Construction of catch basin at Bodles is not yet complete
- Construction of kerb & channel at Begonia completed
- Construction of culvert in the vicinity of the site office completed
- Installation of guard rails in progress
- Patching beyond the town of Old Harbour to be completed during the week of October 18, 2009.
- Installation of the Mast Arms at the Old Harbour Square completed
- Asphaltic concrete overlay works is 90% complete
- Double Surface dressing to shoulders in selected areas
- Asphaltic concrete overlay (500 tons)
- Completion and commissioning into service of Traffic Signals
- Road Marking
The NWA expects to substantially complete this project by October 2009.